Skipped to content
Port of Yamba
Port of Yamba Frequently Asked Questions
When do I have to engage a pilot for my vessel?

Pilotage is compulsory for all vessels 30m and over in length, unless exempted under section 75 of the Marine Safety Act 1998. Note: As per these definitions, where a Super-yacht is recognised as a Seagoing-ship it shall be subject to pilotage.

Port of Yamba Harbour Master has powers under the Marine Safety Act 1998 to direct and control the time and manner in which any vessel may enter, leave or move in the port. The Harbour Master's Directions are applicable to trading, commercial and recreational vessels, Masters, crews and owners. Additional information can be found in Port of Yamba Harbour Master's Port Information and Guidance for Agents.

In accordance with the Harbour Master's Directions, private vessels with a draft exceeding 3m or a length exceeding 45.72m are considered “sea-going ships” and are required by the port to engage a pilot. Masters not familiar with the port are encouraged to engage a pilot as local knowledge will not be provided by radio or telephone.

Preliminary arrangements for a pilot must be made with the Port through an agent (local or ShIPS registered).

For more information and a login for your organisation, please contact the Shipping Manager:

phone: +61 2 6646 2002
I’m sailing from outside of Australia, does the Port of Yamba have Customs, Quarantine and Immigration facilities?

Customs and Quarantine classification of Port of Yamba as a port of first entry for overseas imports was achieved in August 1992. Port of Yamba is a first port of entry for trading vessels only. Recreational vessels must make a first port of entry at an alternate such as Coffs Harbour or Brisbane.

Australian Customs and Border Protection Service personnel from Coffs Harbour service the port's requirements. Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries personnel from south-east Queensland service the Port's quarantine requirements.

Can I fly my drone over the Port of Yamba?
“A person must not operate an unmanned aircraft in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, another person, or property." Civil Aviation Safety Regulation 1998 – Reg 101.055

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) has recently released guidelines for the use of drones.

  • You should only fly in visual line-of-sight, in day visual meteorological conditions (VMC). What does that mean?
    • No night flying (generally).
    • No flying in or through cloud or fog, and you should be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through first-person-view [FPV, binoculars, telescopes]) at all times, (unless you operate under the procedures of an approved model flying association. Contact the MAAA for more information about flying FPV).
  • You must not fly closer than 30m to vehicles, boats, buildings or people.
  • You must not fly over populous areas such as beaches, heavily populated parks, or sports ovals while they are in use.
  • In controlled airspace, which covers most Australian cities, you must not fly higher than 120m (400 feet) above the ground.
  • You must not fly in a way that creates a hazard to other aircraft, so you should keep at least 5.5 km away from airfields, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites.

Further Links: