03/08/2017 09:45 AM
Rare anchors installed at Moore’s Wharf
Two rare mooring anchors that were found in Sydney Harbour in the 1990s are now on display at Moore’s Wharf – right at the northern end of the Wulugul Walk at Barangaroo that, when complete, will run along the foreshore for two kilometres between Walsh Bay and Darling Harbour.
The anchors most likely date from the late nineteenth to early twentieth century and are representative of the ‘Admiralty’ pattern, used to establish permanent mooring buoys or anchorages.
Purpose-made mooring anchors such as these were forged with only one arm and typically fitted with a shackle at the crown and a buckle attached around the shank, which were used to lower the anchor and ensure setting with the arm downwards into the sediment.
Whilst the history of these two anchors has not been documented potential origins include:
• Anchors for a mooring buoy that was removed from near Kirribilli Point, Athol Bay in the 1990s
• Moorings set to hold the training ship HMAS Tingara in Rose Bay from 1911 to 1927.
The heritage listed anchors were installed on behalf of the Port Authority of NSW by Waterway Constructions.