Keeping the ports of NSW safe, secure and
open to the world
Steps to stay safe near seagoing ships
- Always keep a lookout for seagoing ships.
- Determine if a ship is moving towards or away from you.
- Familiarise yourself with the shipping channels or fairways.
- Always keep a safe distance away from a large vessel.
- Some ships will have blind spots ahead of up to 600 metres. Stay far enough away to be in sight.
- Act early so you can move away from these seagoing ships
- Stay clear of shipping channels when seagoing ships are entering or departing the ports.
- Be aware of wakes of seagoing ships, particularly when a large vessel is in relatively shallow water and moving at higher speeds.
- Always have your navigation lights on at night so other vessels can clearly see you.
Before you head out make sure you check the daily vessel movement schedules and listen to the safety broadcasts.